Sunday 14 October 2007

The future becomes the past (again)




I think I have already stated in this very blog the ignimony of being labelled a higher education "failure" at the age of 24 years of age and all that for a few personal problems and an urge to change courses. Then, the search to see whether I could get back into higher education, a search that went on for 17 years, until I felt confident enough to say to the authorities "I want to get back into higher education because I feel that I can get a degree and I have found a subject in which to get my degree". But I dont think that I ever got over the acute sense of rejection that I felt when I left teacher training college; I even tried to get back in the following year and did all the work set, only to be told that I could not.

So you will all pardon me when I say that what this present government appears to be doing is reminiscent of what happened thirty years ago to myself. Then I was being consistently told that I would not get a grant (that meant fees and a maintenance grant). Now students who already have dared to get a first degree (or other qualification) and find it out of date or not suitable because society has moved on, will find themseves in the same boat. There will be no funding for second chances; so that person will be effectively finished, or educationally grounded. And I certainly know what that ignimony feels like. It does not feel as if there is any future.

Aha says the government. But fear ye not because there will be funding for foundation degrees. Yes but suppose one wants to go into a profession, for example, business, or law, where foundation degrees are simply not enough. What are foundation degrees anyway. Suppose one has a degree in physics and wants later on to become a barrister; what use a foundation degree and a foundation degree in what?

These are examples from my own learning; however I am sure my colleagues can give many other examples of people who would benefit from second chances, including people who are severely disabled and have degrees - why are we taking hope away from all these people. Do this government not like the principles of learning?

I come on to the principles of co-funding. Here is the news...bong. In all the 35 years that I have been left school, I have never seen one example of it. Well maybe one example but that was 20 years ago. I think employers will be asking, of what relevance is it to co-fund little Jimmy to get a degree when I am happy for him to be a floor-sweeper. Whats in it for me? And what guarantees that the government will legally bind employers to let employees do further or higher education.

I was extremely lucky to get a chance with the Open University to do a Diploma in Law and I was funded for it and achieved it. However, under the new regime the funds would not be available for me to do this, so I would have no chance at a legal career, or even to get a job in local government doing welfare rights.

We have seen from the figures, how the government proposes to strip out £31million from the Open University; this will be replaced with transitional funding but the result of people with pre-existing qualifications going to the Open University and asking for another bite of the cherry will be "Sorry no funding for you so please pay the full amount".

Oliver Twist, eat your heart out. Thats why the campaign to stop these cuts must and will continue.


Donald Hedges, Dip Eng Law(Open), BA(Hons)(Solent).

No comments: