Monday 28 February 2011

Appointment with the DWP




I have been to the appointment with the Disability Benefits Adviser. They have said to me that the benefit of Income Support is being changed over and will become Employment Support Allowance. I have pointed out that I am not fit enough to get work because of my arm and my depressive state, which has been chronic for many years. The DBA has said that I will get a medical eventually and I will have to attend, although because they have so many to reassess it may be some time before I get an appointment. I have pointed out that I am 60 next week and will be 61 next year so they only have about 11 clear months to do anything about it. The Adviser did confess that I may only get the medical on the eve of my 61st birthday. I think this is probably a covert way of saying that nothing much is going to happen. For which I am extremely grateful. Illness is not the way I wanted to end my working career but I must say that my working life has spanned the period from 15 years to 57 years; a working life of 42 years has not been bad and I am grateful for small mercies.

At the risk of sounding smug I dont think I need fear the medical, whenever it arrives.

No comments: